Harvest Moon 3DS: A New Beginning (牧場物語 はじまりの大地 Bokujõ Monogatari: Hajimari no Daichi, lit. Ranch Story: Land of Beginning) is the second Harvest Moon game released for the Nintendo 3DS, and the first to be Nintendo 3DS exclusive. It was released in Japan on February 23rd, 2012 and came to North America on November 8th, 2012.
Once a thriving town, Echo Village is almost empty after the inhabitants lost everything in a poor economy. Your parents recently offered you a chance to renovate the abandoned family farm, but reviving a successful ranch requires rebuilding the town. Can you find the materials and blueprints that allow you to create the best community in the land?
After you have completed the game's main storyline, you will be able to change the name of the town.
Gameplay and New Features
New gameplay features in A New Beginning include:
- The ability to customize your farm and the surrounding town.
- The ability to change your hairstyle by going to the hair stylist.
- New clothing available from the tailor.
- You will date the bachelor/bachelorette that you're after before marrying them. You'll give them a ring, and you will start to date them. The Blue Feather is still used to propose, like most traditional Harvest Moon games. You can also break up with them.
- Honeymoons and vacations with your family to the Beach, Snowland, Sakura Land, or Ancient Ruins.
- Many new crop species available including: cactus, cotton, wheat, lotus, nadeshiko and more.
- A new way of fishing with the fish trap.
- New animals: yaks, llamas and alpacas.
- Pets such as cats and dogs become bloated if not fed properly.
- Being able to ride in a mechanical panda!(Must get blueprint to make it first)
- Only two Harvest Sprites are available. A new beginning introduces the first a female Harvest Sprite, called Alice - and her twin brother, a red-wearing sprite named Aaron.
- There are 5 Town Restoration Plans. Achieve each level to get new items and plans unlocked.
- Instead of buying furniture and buildings, you can buy blueprints from Rebecca and build things yourself if you have the materials.
- There is only one house expansion available.
- Interacting with other players through Nintendo Network. (You cannot talk to them, but you can get items from their animals.
- If you have a cat or dog, they will take the animals outside to graze.
- The ability to play a song on musical tree stumps which allows you to unlock new areas and get new items.
- Using a beehive to get honey and royal jelly.
- Allen - A hair stylist. He will change your hairstyle for 3,000 G. Making friends with the villagers can unlock new styles inspired by them. He has traditional values when it comes to relationships.
- Amir - A prince from a far away land. You must be on Town Renovation Plan #5 to unlock him.
- Neil - You can buy livestock and items from him to help you tend to your animals. When you talk to him, he seems standoffish. But he secretly has a caring heart, and loves animals much more than more humans.
- Rod - A pet store keeper. He is generally very optimistic. Though Neil and Rod are friends, they are polar opposites.
- Sanjay - Amir's faithful and loyal butler. He speaks and addresses people politely. Mind your manners to impress him!
- Soseki - A former reporter who is into Eastern styled possessions. He has nothing to get out of bed in the morning for. In his own words, he's lazy.
- Felicity - She's a waitress who loves food but prefers not to cook it herself. You will need a maker shed to come up with many of the gifts she favors.
- Iroha - By the time you get her to a heart level of late purple/early blue, you will have all her blueprints for your tools. She's quiet and reserved yet very polite and kind.
- Michelle - A magician with pink hair.
- Tina - A journalist who believes in exposing the truth at any cost. She worries a lot about her past, but is able to express herself through her work.
- Witch Princess - You must wait until year 2 to find her. You'll need all three black fragments and five ancient clay figures for her house.
- Yuri - A soft-spoken tailor and the daughter of Emma. You will not see her heart level until it is already at 30,000 FP and you've given her a commitment ring.
- Locations and Shops
- Cooking Recipes
- Critter Catching
- This was the last game in the Bokujō Monogatari series to be localized under the Harvest Moon name.