|Appearances||HM64, BTN, FoMT, HMDS, IoH, SI, MLS, B&G|
|This article is about Karen a character from Harvest Moon 64. You may be looking for Karen in her other appearances throughout the series.|
Karen is an eligible bachelorette, and the most challenging girl to impress in Harvest Moon 64.
She is often rude towards strangers and initially is not very talkative. This may have to do her with tough home life, and lack of friendships in life. Her father is Gotz, a gruff and irritable man who owns the Vineyard, so she appreciates gifts of wine or wild berries. She and her father seldom get along, and her only real friends are Kai (a worker on the Vineyard) and Ann.
Once you befriend Karen, she will begin to be more open with you. If you do not befriend her, she ends up either leaving town to become a dancer in the city or falling in love with Kai, depending on your level of involvement in the family vineyard. Something of a wine connoisseur, Karen waitresses nights at the Bar (which she quits if the player marries her) and is the town champion in the customary New Year's drinking contest.
- Near Carpenter's house
- At the Beach (On Sundays)
- At the Bar (Most nights)
- Summer 1st, Fireworks Display: The beach
- Winter 10th, Thanksgiving: The beach
- Winter 24th, Star Night Festival: The beach
- Winter 30th, New Years Eve: The bar
Karen is Sick
- On a rainy day, go to the vineyard and Karen will have a cold. She will be happy if you visit her.
Requirements: Karen is at a green heart or higher, and it must be raining.
- You'll have a dream (flashback) to when Karen was locked away in the wine cellar and someone came and helped her out, and went home with her afterwards. The next day, go to the vineyard and enter the wine room. She will give you a tour, and you will end up locked in. To exit, go to the top corner of the ground floor. Tell her it was you who let her out that time ago and she'll be happy.
Requirements: Yellow heart on any kind of day.
- Karen sprains her ankle near the old tree in the vineyard. Helping her yourself will raise her affection, but if you go get help, Kai will help her instead.
Requirements: Yellow heart on a sunny day. If she, her father, and Kai are NOT outside, that indicates that the event has been triggered and the player should go check the tree to see if she's there.
Photo/Save the Vineyard
- To get Karen's photo you have to restore the vineyard. You cannot be married to her.
- Give the bartender gifts until he gives you the "Door to Heaven" wine (Karen will sometimes notice it when you talk to her).
- Become friends with the Harvest Sprites.
- The Harvest Sprites will tell you about the spirit of the old tree in the Vineyard, and mention asking the Goddess to awaken it.
- Toss a vegetable into the Goddess's Pond and ask her to awaken the spirit in the tree.
- When you go to bed on Fall 6, the Goddess will come to you in your sleep and say that the Keifu Fairies have returned.
- If you have Karen at a Pink Heart (or very close to one), she will come to your house at 6PM on Fall 7, and invite you to watch the Keifu Fairies dance. You will receive a picture for this. This will NOT work if you marry Karen beforehand. It has to be sunny for her to come, so this won't work on a rainy day.
Karen Requests Blue Feather
- Have Karen at max affection and go to the beach at night. She'll ask you if you love her. Answer yes and she'll ask you to show her a blue feather.
Requirements: Pink heart on a non-rainy night.
- Karen will have gotten into another fight with her father outside her home, and Kai will suggest she try to reconcile with him.
Karen is Drunk
- Karen will come out of the bar drunk, and Kai will help her get home.
Follow Your Heart
- Kai will be lying in the sand on the beach mumbling, not realizing Karen can hear him. He is startled when he realizes she's there. Karen says she will stay in town, noting that she won't find anyone like Kai in the city.
New Year's Festival
- If the player is still trying to marry Karen and reaches the second year, beating her in drinking at the New Year's Festival will increase her affection. To build a high enough tolerance, the player should go and drink at the bar whenever it is open.
- If the player talks to her fifty times while holding their dog, her heart level will go up.
- Karen's affection system contains a glitch or error that allows the player to increase her affection points from 0 to max (255) in one day by repeatedly showing her your dog. Though she will comment "Doesn't seem too clever..." her affection points are raising one point each time. Therefore, by showing her your dog 255 times, Karen's heart level will be pink. If one is prone to abusing such a glitch, it is wise to do so indoors, such as her place of work, the tavern.
- The blonde in Karen's bangs come from her grandmother Eve's blonde hair.
- Cliff, a traveler who comes to Flower Bud, is Karen's cousin.
- If you don't marry her or don't be friend of her, she will leave the village in the 3rd year.
|Harvest Moon 64 Characters|
|Bachelorettes: Ann • Elli • Karen • Maria • Popuri |
Villagers: Barley • Basil • Carpenters • Cliff • Doug • Duke • Ellen • Gotz • Gray • Greg • Harris • Harvest Sprites • Head Carpenter • Jeff • Kai • Kent • Lillia • May • Mayor • Mayor's Wife • Midwife • Pastor Brown •
Potion Shop Dealer • Rick • Saibara • Sasha • Stu • Sydney • Zack