This wiki's categories are really disorganized. There are too many redundant categories. If you don't mind, may I help cleaning them up?
Also, if you don't mind, can you please remove unnecessary categories in this user's blog page? I think it's best if categories are reserved for wiki articles and templates only. Having categories on user blogs and images make it look messy.
Blogs are always templated as "blog posts" by default, but any other category probably doesn't need to be on blog entries. I've gone through and tried (my very best over the past few years) to categorize all images on this wikia (as it helps keep track of duplicates poor image naming and can make things easier to find) so taking categories off of images would be counter productive to all the hard work I put in.:(
But otherwise, feel free to remove categories from other pages. We have taken out redundant categories in the past such as "male", "female", "bachelor", "bachelorette", "child" and "villager". But, categories do pop up from time to time that don't necessarily need to be there. It is a lot of work to remove categories with a lot of pages it in it, but I can help you if need be.
Edit: Removed the uneccessary categories from the blog post. Will also get on working through deleting categories/pages that have been marked for deletion. Thank you. :)
Hey! Thanks for cleaning up after me haha...I'm still learning my way around Wikia and there's still a ton I don't know yet.
Anyway, how do you do the table edits (like on the Accessory Store page)? If I make any more tables I'd like to be able to make those edits. This way you wouldn't have to take the time to go through and update. Thanks!
You can create a page for it. On the right hand corner there is a button named "contribute". Select 'add a page' from the drop down. Name the page and you will be prompted to add the information in and create it.
I would suggest looking at the source mode of a page to see how things are laid out. Source mode color codes certain things so you can see how templates and links look.
For links, you have to put the page name in brackets that you'd like to link to. Like so:
[[Harvest Moon: Animal Parade]]
Anything in brackets will link to a page. If the link is green, it means that the page exists on the wikia and you can click to visit that page. If you put something in brackets and the link is red, it means that it links to a non existent page.
Goodness, I didn't expect to come to you again so soon! However, I've been meaning to ask you something. Now, when I was going around the HoLV character to add in the pictures of their information (like their height, weight, dislikes, etc.) I noticed that things are a bit confusing. Now, there's a page linking to the Sprites (HoLV) HoLV Sprites but there's also one for Nic seperately but not the other two. I was wondering about which one you would prefer. The minute I know, the minute I can fix it all up.
I actually have a similar question like Luph's but it's more about the gallery. I've noticed that Pink-cat has made additional pages to some of the SoS bachelor/ettes gallery and I just thought of how... pointless it may seem? I mean, there's never much we can add to a gallery, but quotes are always growing. I just wanted your opinion on separating the gallery from the actual character page.
the reason I separated the photos was it made the main character page to cluttered looking and thought it wold help people with slower internet connection and or people using phones. I did not want to remove all the images all tougher so I thought making a separate add on page wold be a good idea, if no one like the idea its ok by me to remove them. I wont add anymore till I get some more options. As for the quotes I think people who run RP Blogs will find them useful.
I never said anything about the quotes! I don't have a problem with them because I even fix them up (and run rp groups for this fandom.) It was just the gallery thing that seemed odd to me since moving the quotes made the page neater a bit. But I see your point on the gallery.
I apologize I did not mean to sound as if you where ageist the quote pages, I was just defending them sense the subject was brought up before and I did not want to spam to much on the topic. that said your doing a good job on them, they are really coming tougher.
I agree with Jun. Keep them how they were before. Images for certain characters (children, heart events, events) and anything relevant to the information on the page can go on the page. But additional artwork, wallpaper, different character appearances, etc, should go on the disambiguation page in the gallery section.
I can see were you've added "gallery" as another sub heading. We can trial this for now, but this may end up changing or we can maybe take a vote on this later on if it's decided that this looks neater or can be expanded upon. My concern is that this will not work for all pages and if this is the new standard, this will be very time consuming and difficult to change over. I also don't see the point of Japanese screen caps after the English version has been released which is what is taking up a lot of these gallery page spaces in SoS especially.
Mai added them in originally for a nice sneak peak into what we'd be seeing for the game. But they sort of outlive their usefulness past a certain point.
Because I think most of them aren't. We can have the heart/friendship lines (lines that change as you grow closer with a person), but for daily/casual dialogues like a simple hi, what are you doing, and lines that are very specific (triggering at this or that festival, etc), I don't think we really need them. There are several reasons:
1. It takes lot of hard work and time to document all of them (and very unbalanced, like only the bachelor/ette get the quotes, while villagers tend to be "neglected." I know that bachelor/ette is more popular with the fandom in general, but we should treat all characters equally.
2. Wikia is supposed to provide information, not to replicate the content of the game or to spoil the player. Let them discover by themselves.
3. Heart events and random events should be filled with conditions to trigger them and the summary of the event, not the entire dialogues. They take a lot of spaces and don't help anyone (and of course 100% spoil the entire event too, which defeats the purpose of playing and seeing them in-game).
4. Rather than collecting trivial/unimportant dialogues, there are more important information to be written, like anything about the gameplay (crops, animals, cooking, mining, fishing, etc).
Of course this is what I personally think about what this wikia really needs (and also to make our lives much easier as well). I don't expect everyone to agree, but what I've seen is that most of us are focusing on the very small parts of the game, while there are far more important things we can focus on.
1. I started adding them because other people seemed to want to see them or other people were adding them and the not adding on to them. The suggestion was made by somebody to have them included, as many other wikias do the same thing. Because there are not many active editors, I encouraged them to help in whatever way they could and that is what they wanted to do. I've added on since to help make things not feel so empty. But as for importance, no, they're not important in comparison to adding other information such as heart events or gift preferences. However, a lot of hard work has gone into what we've got so far.
3. Most heart events are filled with condition triggers and not the entire dialogues, although a brief summary of the event is usually stated. The way that I've done the Animal Parade and Mineral Town pages are what I would like to see as a sort of formula/standard for heart events. The ones that have dialogue are usually from the new games when information about specifics were not available. I work on converting these if I am able, but I haven't always played the games and I really hate to only read about it from another source when I havent played the game myself because it makes it hard to put into your own words to avoid plagerism. You want to have a happy medium. You don't want to JUST have the trigger conditions (as this makes for a completely barren page), but you don't want to have the whole dialogue typed out either.
4. I'm not sure what you mean. I know what you mean, but in what context? Gameplay is usually on game pages, and any important information is stated on crop, tool, animal, character pages already. Dialogue and trivia are just added pieces but should not take priority.
I do respect your opinion, however, keep in mind that these are not easy things to chance wikia wide, especially with so many few editors and very little other opinions weighing in on this. I would recommend making constructive and helpful changes to what is already here, instead of wanting to scrap old ideas, as this can be counter productive and diffuclt to manage. Many other wikias have trivia, quotes, gallery, history, etc sections which may not seem important to some but provide a more complete looking page as a whole.
The main thing is that wikia is a community. We cannot force or delegate on person to work on one thing or another. We all have our own abilities and talents. The important thing is to work on what you think is imporant, and to provide your input like you are now. What other imporant things do you have in mind? Perhaps I can help. I have worked on here for years with Mai to make very important changes such as a style guideline, templates, navigation, research, organization and to do a compete overhaul of what the wikia once was. My nearly 20,000 edits have been things very big and very small, but they have all contributed in some way. It takes a lot of time and changes don't come overnight, especially with the relatively small community that we have. I'm sure that if we had a larger editor base like some of the other popular wikias had, we would be able to accomplish both the big and the little things without having to try and decide which parts are more important.
Your edits have been very helpful and I hope that you can keep on contributing. It can get discouraging, I know, especially when you are just one person but you see so many things wrong or so many things that need changing!
I recently noticed Animal Parade was missing on the navigation, also I been wanted to ask why have both "Games By System" and "List of Games"? The List of Games page already separates games by system. I feel like the space could be used to list the games that are on PS1/PS2/PSP systems. It is just an idea but let me know what you think.