Opening Day (also known as the Swimming Festival) is an annual event in Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. It is held on the 1st day of Summer, between 10:00 am and 2:50 pm, at Mineral Beach. A Power Berry is rewarded for winning the race.
Talking to a villager will increase their affection by +5. Talking to a bachelorette will increase affection by +500. Winning the competition increases affection by +20 for the attending villagers, and +500 for all girls there.
You can also use this time to Fish in the ocean, as time has stood still. However, do not leave the screen to drop off fish or Litter (Must be kept in rucksack).
During the Swimming Festival the character will compete against other males in the town in a race along the dock. Although almost all males participate, your only real competition is Kai. The first year you win you will be rewarded with a Power Berry.
Stamina can be exerted by tapping the X Button, and recovered by holding the Triangle Button. Stamina reserves are represented by an icon of a face that changes color depending on the player's energy level:
- Full Stamina - Yellow Happy Face
- Medium Stamina - Yellow Straight Face
- Low Stamina - Yellow Sad face
- Very Low Stamina - Red Face
- No Stamina - Blue Face
Any of the following tactics can be used to win:
- Start by pressing X quickly (2-4 times per second, too fast and you'll just flop around), until your stamina drops to the Dull Yellow face (''-''). Hold Triangle down until the face goes back to "Happy." Continue this pattern until you are %70 of the way (Where Stu walks to and stops), then furiously hit X till finish. If done correctly you will start off slower than the rest but win in the end.
- Pressing X and Triangle Alternatively really quickly. A staggered approach, but known to work.
- Use a turbo controller to press X so fast it doesn't matter.